Frequently Asked Questions
What does a listing mean?
Here is a sample listing:
KING, STEPHEN; STRAUB, PETER, THE TALISMAN, VIKING/G.P.
PUTNAM'S SONS, NEW YORK, 1984, 1ST, 644, VG/VG, I2117, $25.00
- The Authors(s) name(s) will be in bold.
- The Title is underlined.
- The next item is the name of the publisher, as listed on the title page.
- The city listed is the place of publication.
- The year is the year of publication of the given edition.
- The "1st", "2nd", etc. represent the edition of the book. First editions are more valuable.
- The next number will represent the pages in the book.
- The condition of the book, as well as any comments about the book are listed next.
Example: VG/VG the first VG means that the book itself is in VG (very good) shape, and the second VG represents the condition of the dust jacket.
(See the section below 'How do you grade your books? for definitions.)
- The second to last entry is a number of the form "I2117." This is our inventory number.
- When ordering a book, you need to make sure that you include this number, so we find the right book for you.
- Finally, the last number is the price of the book, before shipping.
How do you grade your books?
We have been in the used book business for over 30 years. Here are some of the words we use to describe our books:
- As new, as when published.
- Near Mint
- No defects, but not quite as new.
- Fine. Slight signs of use and/or light scuffing on the dust jacket
- Near Fine. Almost fine
- Very Good. No defects, minor wear, possible slight chipping, tears or wrinkles to dust jacket
- Good. Average used book. No pages missing. Boards show wear. DJ has tears or small pieces missing.
- Well worn but complete text. May lack end papers. Jacket and binding may be badly worn.
- Badly worn but complete text legible.
- The Front Free End Paper, or the fly-leaf, or first moving page of a normal book.
- Dust jacket or dust wrapper.
- Front paste down = The paper pasted to the inside front board of a book.
- RPD, or BPD
- Rear paste down = The paper pasted to the inside rear board of a book.
- A soft cover or paperback
- Remainder Mark
- A book that has an ink stamp, pen mark or spray, usually on the bottom edge of the pages of the book.
How do you grade your automotive manuals?
Please see How We Grade our Manuals
What are my books worth?
Please see What is my book worth?
How can I find a certain book?
Please see Buying Books on the Internet
How are you involved with the community?
- Please read about our annual Book Angels Project
- You can read an article from our local paper, the Columbian, about our 30th Anniversary in 2005.
NOTE: large pdf file!